The Bradley-Hubbell House and Farmstead preserve a centerpiece of Easton’s history. This house, built in 1816 remained with the original family for over 100 years and typifies the kind of subsistence farm that was the heart and soul of Easton, Connecticut during the 19th century. It is located at 535 Black Rock Road, aka CT 58, about 5 miles north of Merritt Parkway exit 44.
The Hubbell family moved into the house in 1917 during what we call “the reservoir age.” This was the period during which the Bridgeport Hydraulic Company built the reservoirs in the area. Franklin Hubbell worked for Bridgeport Hydraulic at the time. He was responsible for planting the pine trees that surround the Aspetuck Reservoir. He also planted apple orchards and sold his apples at a stand about 1/2 mile north at what has become the Aspetuck Valley Apple Orchards’ Apple Barn. The Apple Barn, just north on Black Rock Road, is a favorite stop for fresh produce, nursery stock, sauces and jams, baskets, fine cheeses, and a delightful variety of other seasonal items and goodies.
The house continues to undergo restoration as funds become available and a major restoration project is now underway for the barn on the property.
In early 2012 a flax garden will be established on the property to allow The Society and it’s docents to show how the citizens of the day went from growing their own plants for thread, to making the thread itself and weaving into garments.