This archive page will mainly feature photos that don’t fall into any particular category. For vintage detailed photos of our notable neighbors, historic homes, churches, schools, agriculture, the Bridgeport Hydraulic Company & the historic Sport Hill Races of the early twentieth century, please click on those links below the Photo Archives tab on our main page. Eventually, we hope to have as many as 500 photos online and viewable to all.
WWII & Korean War Honor Roll
Farmer & State Representative Ambrose Marsh at his Sport Hill Road farm c.1895
Haeublein’s Store & Post Office c.1910 corner of Sport Hill & Adams Road
c.1890 Aspetuck School on Redding Road
c.1920 Stepney Road looking south at Union Cemetery. The town would vote to allow the State to make a wider road to the Monroe line in 1926
1982. The Aspetuck Reservoir during an extreme drought.
Gasoline engines such as the Fairbanks – Morse brand replaced traditional water power in sawmills during the early part of the 20th century. Gillette Tucker & Company from Easton represented the brand in the 1930’s.
Burton Merwin sold groceries and ran the Aspetuck Post Office from this mill starting in 1891. By the early 1900’s he was making wooden toys on the upper floor. Located at the corner of Westport & Old Redding Roads.
Platt’s Blacksmith Shop in 1922 at the foot of Sport Hill before it crossed the Mill River near the Fairfield Line.
Albert Hawkins near the Sport Hill Ledge in the early 1900’s. The road was moved to the east and straightened in the 1940’s.
1910 George Platt’s old sawmill at foot of Sport Hill Road.
1932 the then Grange Hall under construction on Center Road
August of 1909 Sylvanus Mallette, owner of Sweetbrier Farm with his fancy rig
c.1900 interior of Tom Wells blacksmith shop on North Street
The Center Road Bridge prior to the building of the Aspetuck. Looking east c.1910
The Yellow Bowl Tea Room on Sport Hill Road in the 1930’s.
Dedication of WWII & Korean War Memorial. Left to right: Selectmen Franklin Hubbell, Howard Andrews, David Whittier, and representing the American Legion, Joseph Silhavey & Norris Wilkes
11/09/1963. The groundbreaking cemermony for the Helen Keller Middle School. First Selectman Franklin Hubbell at far right.
1934 Aerial photo of Sport Hill Road showing the twin radio towers of WICC that were erected in 1927. The building at the center that housed the broadcasting equipment is now a residence.
Orlando Banks and his wife circa 1900. The Banks farm was taken by eminent domain for the construction of the Aspetuck Reservoir a few years later.
Undated photo with the results of a black squirrel hunt. Unsure if this was for sport or bounty.
1977 Easton Banjo Society
1937 plans for the new town hall. Notice that it had a courtroom on the main level and that the town library was located in the basement.
Late 1920’s – early 1930’s. Single bay fire department.
Early 1930’s Volunteer Fire Department Picnic
1932 Crowd during the groundbreaking for the new Grange
After a devastating 1929 fire that destroyed the Grange Hall, a new building was started in 1932. George B. Beers, the first Master of the Grange turns the first shovel of dirt.
Past Masters of the Grange in 1932. We have the names too!
1932 Grange officers and officials w/list of names!
June 9, 1915. Dedication of new Grange Hall. Staples Academy seen in background. The Grange sat on Center Road just west of the Congregational Church
Surviving charter members of the Grange in 1932.
Helen Keller fell in love with the Arcan farm in Scotland and named her Easton residence after this cottage
The original Arcan Ridge house in 1941. It would be lost to fire in 1946.
May 30, 1937. The Bluebird baseball team…and yes, we have the names too!
Gustav Pfeiffer built the little replica mill that we all refer to as the “Toy Factory” sometime around 1935. Note the long gone water wheel. It was only for show, but it did turn when the water was allowed to flow over it.
Ruman Brother’s Store on the corner of Center & Westport Road. C.1917.
Bill Gregory went by the name Bill Injun. Whether he was actually of Native American heritage may never be known, but the old-timers in the middle of the last century liked to tell the story of the old Indian who did odd jobs and lived in a shack near the corner of Sport Hill & Rock House Roads. c. 1895 photo.
1925 Easton Troop 42 at Lordship Bluffs in Stratford w/Scoutmaster Dr. Howard Warren, pastor of the Jesse Lee Methodist Church
1925 Easton Boy Scouts camping at Lordship Bluffs.
Scoutmaster Warren with Boy Scouts in 1925
Troop 42 was sponsored by the Jesse Lee Methodist Church until 1930
1933. Easton Forest Rangers at the University of Connecticut. L to R: Jay Sherwood Edwards, John King, Sterling Gillette, Ed Johnson, Albert Wilkes & Fred O’Hara.
1925. Easton Boy Scouts at Lordship Bluffs campout in Stratford. When it was perfectly safe to transport children in the back of an open truck!
c.1905. The Adams schoolhouse in its original setting. Looking east from Sport Hill Road, Adams Road at the right.
C.1920’s. Union Cemetery looking north on Sport Hill Road.
1930’s. Easton Coach Service bus in front of Halzack’s. Note the old blacksmith shop still standing in the rear of the building.
Morehouse Highway looking south from Center Road. c.1908
Sport Hill Road looking south at the Mill River Bridge. C. 1900.
Sport Hill Road looking north at the Mill River Bridge. C.1910
1947. A second bay had been added to house additional equipment. The boys bought something called a televsion set around that time and membership suddenly swelled.
Easton Coach Service. Photo taken on Center Road at the intersection of Morehouse looking south. After 1934 – the bus is a 1934 Studebaker
1940 booth at the Volunteer Firemen’s Carnival
1940 Booth at the Volunteer Firemen’s Carnival
The tents on the green ready for the Carnival in 1940
1947 Donkey Baseball players. Fun at the Volunteer Firemen’s Carnival!
Halzack’s store and filling station on Sport Hill Road in the 1930’s
Artist Stevan Dohanos used many local landmarks in his works, this one of the Congregational Church is from an August 1949 illustration in Life Magazine.
1938 the construction of the Merritt Parkway in the Plattsville section of town.
1942. The Connecticut Railway & Lighting Company (CRL) regularly ran buses to Easton that provided transportation to Bridgeport.
The Bluebird Garage was used in the filming of the 2007 movie Reservation Road starring Juoquin Phoenix, Mark Ruffalo, Jennifer Connelly, Mira Sorvino, Elle Fanning et al.
Likely taken in the late 1920’s to early 1930’s given the signage. Signs atop the building in the later 1930’s sported bluebirds on either side of the name.
The Date of this postcard/picture is not known. This second or counterfeit Bluebird sat about in the middle of what is now the little league field parking lot at Aspetuck Park.
Bluebird Inn Late 1940’s
The Bluebird Inn – late 1940’s
The Bluebird Garage – 1960
The Bluebird Inn and Garage – photo taken between 1934 and 1937.
House at Redding Road and Black Rock Road, now Aspetuck Park c. 1920
Greiser’s Store 1926 – left to right – Mr. Weichert, visitor from New Jersey, the father of the Weichert who started Weichert Realty, Richard A Greiser, Arthur Greiser